As independent financial advisors, we have direct access to financial instruments offered by Canadian mutual fund companies*, insurance companies, a number of banks and credit unions. With over 4500 investment funds at our disposal, it is important to use screens and filters to recommend only those financial instruments that meet our criteria for performance and volatility.
Each month we assess the investment products available, and screen them down to approximately 50 funds. The Oracle Financial Services Preferred list reflects the following considerations:
- How the fund is rated by Morningstar;
- Experience, education and length of time that the fund manager has managed the fund;
- Positive Sharpe ratios over a 3 and 5 year period;
- Consistent 1st and 2nd quartile performance relative to the fund's peer group over the 2 to 10 year time frame;
- Management style. Our bias is towards value.
Because we use a financial planning approach, a projected portfolio return is determined that will meet the clients´ objectives. Once a goal is established, we assess the clients' risk tolerance using our risk questionnaire to ensure it is consistent with the return required to meet their objectives. The response is quantified, and each fund that we recommend is assigned a risk rating based on information contained in the prospectus. The portfolio risk is a weighted value, depending upon the asset mix. We manage these risk ratings and periodically adjust the asset mix to ensure that the portfolio reflects the clients risk tolerance, return expectations and time frame. Individual portfolios are reviewed quarterly.
Other types of financial products, such as annuities, term deposits or GIC´s are reviewed, based upon:
- Competitive returns;
- Financial strength of the financial institution;
- The "fine print" contained in the contract, that may create cost or duration of commitment to a particular investment product or institution.
*Mutual funds provided through Assante Wealth Management
Mutual funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated.
OFS Oracle Financial Services is a trade name of HMY Holdings Inc. Insurance Services provided through OFS Oracle Financial Services